Monday, January 23, 2012

Matched by Ally Condie



I've read some of the reviews of this book, and I can honestly say that with this type of book it doesn't matter where the author got the setting/government of the book it matters in the end the message trying to be conveyed! I don't know about you, but when I read a book I look for it's meaning. I look for the good in the story not reasons to complain. In some way/form/fashion every Dystopian world has some similarities. It doesn't matter how the author portrays it. The only thing that matters is the characters fighting for freedom and the revelations the character has along the path of gaining freedom.

Cassia is a girl who is basically going through the motions of life. In the beginning that is. She doesn't stand out. She doesn't have any super amazing skill. She's just....average. Until she has a reason to be anything but average. If everything seemed perfect to you what reason would you have to fight? It only takes one thing so perfect, wonderful, and beautiful in life to make you want to rebel and fight. When there's only one thing in life that you truly want but are unable to have, is when you will find the will to fight. And that is what happens to Cassia. She finds someone perfect, wonderful, and beautiful to her, but is denied her right to be with him. Yes Zander is perfect, kind, and handsome BUT he isn't right for her and she for him. The only reason that Zander is really hurt is because he has no reason to look for a deeper meaning behind their Match/love. I'm sure that if he looked he would find someone who holds his attraction like Cassia holds Ky's. I don't really see this book as having a love triangle, because everyone knows who has Cassia's heart right from the beginning. Zander is a wonderful friend. I could tell from the start that he wouldn't be anything more to her that a friend. The emotions and the intimacy just wasn't there. There was no growth in the relationship so I was fine with her falling for Ky. Ky has secrets. He had reasons to rebel, to fight. While Zander could possibly fight and cause changes, he was still no Ky. He lacked that passion.

I absolutely loved this story. I spoke volumes to me because it made me think of all the things in life that are set out for me to follow. Go to school. Get good grades. Go to college. Get a job. Get married. Tell my kids the same lines my parents told me. It's just a cycle. This book made me look past all that, and at everything beautiful in life. Everyone now a days is only concerned with politics, governments, tragedies, and the like. How many of you stop and look at the trees and flowers and imagine a world where everything is burned to the ground? How many of you like at a group of rebelling teens and imagine a world without opinions or voice or freedom to express yourself. How many of you writers/painters/musician can imagine a world without your art? This is what I thought about while reading this story. Yes there's a lot of bad in this world. BUT there is also a lot of good. No matter how bad this world gets, I would never trade my art or my independence. This book reminds me that it's the little things that matter in life. The little things that give us purpose.

Rating: 5 Stars

♥ Valencia ♥

1 comment:

  1. This book made me really think as well. It's the first dystopian that made me look at the world. The other ones just felt like a book to read but this one made me angry. Made me feel more.

    The next one's going to be pretty interesting. (:
    Hopefully it's not as bad as people say...

    ReplyDelete